A housewife who had to evacuate after becoming infected with the plague has revealed how to keep the house safe.
Sandra Braddock, 43, who has a three-year-old daughter and a three months-old son, said she was warned about the risk of getting infected with coronavirus in a local pub in October.
The house was empty on a cold and rainy night when she was returning from work.
“I had a pint of wine and went to the bar for a drink,” she told the BBC.
“We sat down at the table, and there was an older gentleman and a couple of girls sitting at the bar.”
“He came over and asked if I wanted to get a beer.”
Mrs Braddock said the man asked if she had any symptoms of the virus.
“He said that if you were infected, you would need to get into a hospital.”
Then he said that you were going to need to go to the pub, where the older gentleman would go with his partner and they would take you there.
“Mrs Brettons husband was a teacher and was in the pub at the time, but it was the night before she got infected, Mrs Braddock told the programme.”
They said to wait until the following Monday,” she said.”
So I went to bed, and I woke up the next morning and I had a bit of fever.
“The couple had to move out the next day.”
It was a real shock.
I was not aware that I had any infection, and he said I had to leave immediately,” she added.”
But we had no idea what to do about it.
“It was awful.”
Mrs Broughton said she spent days researching coronaviruses, and was warned not to drink alcohol on that night.
“The pub I was in had a bottle of beer in it, and so I thought, ‘Well, I’ve got to be as safe as possible, because this might be my last drink’,” she said of the night.
The couple decided to get rid of their home, and the following week she moved into a new house.
“That’s when we realised that this could be a serious problem, that we should get out,” she recalled.
“And that’s what we did.”
In a BBC documentary, Mrs Broughtons husband describes how she and her husband’s partner, who works in the industry, went to a pub in Manchester and found it was packed with people who were on the verge of getting the coronaviral infection.
“A couple of people came over to drink and then a lady came in with her two young kids,” she says.
“She said she had a little girl and that she had been in a pub that night, and she was worried about getting infected.”
“She was really worried about it, she was crying, and her children were crying.”
She added that they had a “really good relationship” but the fear that the man might be infected had taken its toll.
“In those situations, you don’t want to be the one who’s the one to get infected, because you’ve never had that fear,” she explained.
“You don’t know what it’s like, and you don and you think, ‘You’ve never been in that situation’.”
And then you know that you can’t really take care of your family.
“Mrs Barclays mother has also lost two of her children to the coronvirus.”
When my mum died of the coronovirus, I had three of my children in my care, and they’re all in the same hospital, so it was a really hard time,” she recounted.”
Now, it’s gone, but I think I’m OK, and that’s all you can ask for.